17 January 2008

Soup's Up


For Christmas this year Zach got a book called The World's Best Soups or something like that, promising 400 of the globe's best recipes. It wasn't intended as an entirely serious gift, but as I love cookbooks, especially those will full color pictures on every single page, I have been reading it before bed.*

The weather finally turned cold again here this past weekend so I thought it would be an opportune time to try out a recipe. We settled on beef and barley soup, which the book told us was an Irish country favorite. I modified the instructions a bit, subsisting store-bought beef stock for home made, browning the beef and onions rather than just boiling them and adding a beef soup bone for flavor and richness.

The result was a mild, almost delicate soup perfect for dinner with some fresh baked bread.

*Personally, I cannot read novels or any kind of fiction before bed. I always end up so engrossed in the story I suddenly realize its 2 in the morning and I'm not the least bit tired. Cookbooks, on the other hand, provide just the right amount of interest and after a recipe or two I can actually put them down and go to sleep.

No comments: