25 May 2008

Cucumber Vinegar Salad

Along with the meatballs we needed to have some kind of vegetable. (I'm always torn as to whether tomato sauce counts as a vegetable. I know it's tomatoes but it just doesn't seem very vegetabally to me-- thoughts?). Well, I thought we needed to have something along with the meatballs and it needed to be something quick (I can't actually really remember why at this point- not to self, don't wait 5 days before writing up posts). I grabbed half a cucumber that had been sitting in the fridge and quickly sliced it up, then mixed together about 1/3 C red wine vinegar and 2 t. of sugar and poured it over top, sprinkled on a little salt and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It is maybe the easiest salad imaginable and the vinegar and sugar give the cucumber a bit of bite and texture without masking the clean cuke flavor. You can make it with red wine, white wine or plain vinegar and if you have time, let it sit for 30 minutes or more for the best flavor.

2 comments:

kat said...

lol, I made something very similar tonight with cuke & radishes...it really is so good & easy isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Cucumber White Bean Salad

* Always looking for tasty protein sources, and ways to use up the last of our fall garden produce!
* Thinly slice several mint leaves. I use spearmint, as it grows abundantly in our garden. We like it very much, so I used 10 or 12 leaves.
* Mix in a small amount of white sugar, since cucumbers can be bitter this time of year. I used approximately 1 Tablespoon.
* Peel, seed, and thinly slice 1 cucumber.
* Add 1 to 1.5 cups of white beans. I used Goya cannellini beans. I rinsed them.
Dress with a light oil and mild vinegar. I used Zvijezda sunflower oil, and Centrella apple cider vinegar. for more recipes http://holy-food.org