02 February 2009

Red Cabbage


Can I admit it? I like cabbage. A lot. It's seems shameful to own up to it as cabbage isn't sexy, trendy or quite frankly even very pretty. But I do like it.

Take red cabbage for instance. What else would brighten up a plate of meatballs, boiled potatoes and pan sauce quite so much? Nothing that would even remotely go with Scandinavian food, that's for sure. There's just something about slightly crispy yet tender cabbage with a hint of lemon and a pinch of sugar that makes me think of Denmark and my exchange student days... but getting back to more practical matters, red cabbage can go from cutting board to table in about 10 minutes- always a plus in my book. Recipe after the jump.

Red Cabbage
Serves 4-6 as a side

1 head red cabbage (about 2 lb/1kg)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
spoonful of sugar
salt and pepper to taste

- Remove the other leaves from the cabbage if they look dirty or beaten up. Split the cabbage in half from top to bottom and then cut out the root. Position one cabbage half cut-side-down on the cutting board and slice the cabbage thinly (1/4in, 1cm) parallel to the root. Repeat with the other half.

- Put the cabbage, garlic and 1/3 c (100ml) water in a pot with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 4-8 minutes, depending on how cooked you like the cabbage. Personally, I aim for a just cooked but still a bit crispy stage that it close to the 4 minute mark.

- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

kat said...

Hey that looks like our Christmas eve dinner

Sarah R said...

I'm a cabbage freak too - but I favour Savoy... your recipe looks wonderful, it may just convert me!