20 June 2008

Scallion Pancakes



In this episode I attempt to do something will some of the masses of scallions we have in the fridge. I've never used scallions for much besides topping soups and sauces, or maybe adding to few in a stir-fry. These methods, while tasty, weren't going to use enough of the scallions to even make a dent in the supply. As I was running through ideas in my head (scallion salad, scallion eggs, pasta with scallion) I hit up scallion pancakes.

I sort of remembered having scallion pancakes once and liking them so set off in search of a recipe. I settled on one by Ming Tsai posted at the food network but couldn't help but make a few little changes. I substituted a third of the white flour for wheat flour, and reduced the oil from over half a cup to just 3 tablespoons and added a bit of baking powder. The pancakes were easy to make but the dough does need an hour to rest before rolling out.

After a quick cooking in a very hot pan, the pancakes were ready to eat. It seems to me that these pancakes would qualify as Chinese comport food. They have a very delicate flavor which I initially thought was bland but then after another I began to appreciate the scallion flavor in the crisp yet chewy dough.

I've uploaded this recipe into the Key Ingredient collection. If you'd like to check it out there you can click here.

Scallion Pancakes
Adapted from a recipe by Ming Tsai
Makes 4, 6in pancakes


1 and 1/3 C. white flour
2/3 C. wheat flour
1/2 baking powder
1 cup boiling water
2 T. vegetable oil, divided
1 T. sesame oil
3/4 C. finely chopped scallion
salt
Dipping sauce (recipe below)

- Mix flours and baking powder in a medium bowl. Slowly add the boiling water, stirring constantly. The dough should for a very loose ball. It won't come together like bread dough, but should for a few balls and stick when you press them together. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for an hour.

- Mix 1 T. vegetable oil with the sesame oil. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough trying to make it rectangular, until it is 1/4 in. thick. Top with the oil (I found it easiest to pour the oil on and use my hand to spread it around, sprinkle on a few pinches of salt then top evenly with the scallions.

- Roll the dough up, started at a long end (if you have one) like a jelly roll- the tighter the better.

- Cut the roll into 4 equal pieces. Pick up a piece and make 3 twists in it, like you are making a spiral out of it, the roll it into a ball. Roll the ball out to a pancake slightly thinner than 1/4 in. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces.

- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Have ready the remaining 1 T. oil and a pastry brush. When the skillet is hot, brush on a bit of oil and put in 1 pancake. Cook 2-3 minutes, until it is seared and golden brown. Flip and cook again (adding more oil if needed). Repeat with remaining pancakes.

- Cut pancakes into wedges and serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce

2 T. soy sauce
2 T. seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. thinly sliced scallion
1 t. grated ginger
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. chili sauce.

- Combine all ingredients and serve with scallion pancakes.

2 comments:

Katerina said...

Yum! I love these things and get them whenever I go to my favorite local noodle house. Good on you for making them at home.

Anonymous said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie